Removing excess body hair for a long time has been something that was only done and strongly associated with women. But this situation is changing quickly, as men are getting more and more into every part of grooming that once was the domain only of women.
So the best hair removal for men is not only for those men that engage in sports like swimming, cycling or bodybuilding.
In this article I will take a closer look at the methods available for excess hair removal as well as listing some of the best hair removal products for men. At the end you will find all the information about Natural Hair Removal for men. This if you’re more into organic stuff (which most people are)
The Best Hair Removal for Men Methods
A number of these options will look very familiar and obvious, some will look more creative.
Waxing and Sugar Waxing
Waxing is not for everyone, typically because it is so painful. I have tried a couple of time myself, but it is not for me. I have lots of respect for my wife…
The waxing method is very effective though. The wax is gently heated and applied on the areas with unwanted hair. Strips of cloth or other sticky material are then applied and rapidly ripped off the skin. Leaving your skin clean from (facial) hair for weeks.
Sugar waxing is a variety whereby you make the sugar wax yourself. The application is exactly the same as with ordinary wax. Here are the ingredients if you want to try this in the comfort of your home.
- 2 cups of plain sugar
- ¼ cup of plain water
- ¼ of lemon juice (from a bottle is fine)
Mix it all together and heat gently in a saucepan. Ideally you would have a thermometer and heat your mixture to a maximum of F250. Above this temperature the sugar turn into caramel and becomes unusable. Make sure you leave enough time to let the end product cool.
A new development is the so-called iLight. Of course this works for both men and women, but the nice thing about this method is that you can do it fast and in your own home (waxing yourself does not work that well).
How it works
The iLight emits light energy, which is absorbed by the melanin in the hair follicle below the skin’s surface. The energy stuns the follicle and suppresses re-growth to leave skin soft, smooth and hair free for up to three months.
That’s pretty amazing isn’t it? The method/device is developed with the help of leading dermatologist, and is safer and cheaper than using laser light.
The i-Light shaver is applied as an ordinary shaver, but works with so called Intensed Pulsed Light (IPL). The intensity of the light is variable depending on you skin. It’s fast, painless and the reviews are excellent. My personal choice for the best hair removal for men would be this one.
What are Good Products?
Remington IPL6000 i-Light Pro Hair Removal System
- Best hair removal for men; results lasting up to 3 months
- Multi-Flash for larger areas and single flash for spot treatments
- Safe Integrated Skin Sensor allows only appropriate skin types to be treated
- Flash window with built in UV protection
- 2 year guarantee
- Price: about $250
- 80% of women preferred Lumea to their conventional hair removal method
- Fast: Wider 4 cm² application window with Slide & Flash mode for even faster application as well as Step & Flash mode for precision treatment
- Effective: Up to 80% reduction in hair regrowth in just 8 weeks
- Repeat treatment as necessary to prevent re-growth
- Convenient: Advanced Salon technology for use at home at a time to suit you
- Rechargeable, ready to use, no gels or accessories needed
- Versatile: Suitable for body and the face
- 5 light energy settings – suitable for most skin tones and hair colors
- Philips products purchased from Amazon and ‘Dispatched from and sold by Amazon’ are genuine Philips products sold by Amazon as an authorized dealer under the Philips Partnership Program
Philips Lumea Precision Plus SC2003/11 IPL Hair Removal System with Facial Attachment
Veet for Men Hair Removal Gel Crème 200 ml
- Veet for Men Hair Removal Gel Cream for Body Fast and Effective 200ml
- Veet For Men Gel Cream is a quick and effective way to remove body hair leaving your skin feeling smoother for up to twice as long as shaving.
Veet Sensitive Skin Hair Removal Cream Aloe Vera & Vitamin E 200ml
Skin Doctors Hair No More Inhibitor Spray 120 ml
- Specifically designed to discourage unwanted hair from growing back, can be used with any form of hair removal
- With repeated use it can help keep hair away for weeks or even months at a time
- Any hair that does grow back may be finer, sparser and lighter than before
- In some cases the hair may never grow back at all
- Formulated with natural herb and plant extracts to nourish and calm the skin after hair removal and starve the root of the hair of nutrients, inhibiting its growth
Nad’s For Men Body Wax Strips 20′s
- Fast way to remove unwanted hair for a smooth finish
- Innovative new contour weave fabric technology the strips conform to the curves of your body
- Quick and easy way to keep your skin hair free and smooth for up to 8 weeks
- Suitable for legs, arms, chest, back and shoulder
- 20 Large Strips (10 Double-Sided)
- Contour Weave Paper Technology
- For a smooth, sculpted look
At first you might think that this topic is something that would only interest women. Nothing further from the truth. With a continuing and expanding trend for more organic and natural skin and hair care, natural hair removal is definitely on the rise, also for men.
Natural Hair Removal
In this part of this article I will first explain what natural hair removal is. I will then list a number of different methods that work best, and finally there will be a list of some of the best products to naturally remove unwanted hair.
Places of Unwanted Hair
There are several places where men (and women) can have unwanted hair (I’m taking here about excessive hair growth), notably:
- Eyebrows; typically the uni-brow
- Hair on your forehead
- Hair on your back
- Hair on hands and feet
- Hair on your chest & legs if you do certain sports, like body building or road cycling
What is Natural Hair Removal?
Natural hair removal is pretty much what it says: without the use of chemical products you want to limit, reduce or totally eliminate certain parts of body and facial hair.
There are several creams available all containing aggressive chemicals that if you leave them too long on your skin you will get skin irritation that can be quite painful.
Even the use of waxing as a hair removal method is not always free of chemicals.
What are Some Well Known Methods?
As you will see there are a number of very creative as well as very obvious ways to remove excess hair in a natural way.
Obviously and simple. When it comes to facial or body hair on unwanted places, an electric shaver or trimmer will not work well. It is best to use a razor. Pick the type with 3 blades or more for best results. A moisturizing shaving cream and after shave lotion will help recuperate you skin faster.
Choose a good quality organic or natural wax. You can make the process less painful (because that’s what it will be) by softening your skin with hot water (by taking a shower or applying a warm towel). The trick is to apply just enough wax that when pulling way the wax you actually pull out the hairs and not only wax. The pulling happens against the grain (direction) of your hair growth.
Waxing will make your hair disappear for longer compared to shaving. And it is NOT true that your hair will regrow faster and or thicker.
Plucking & Threading
Using a pair of tweezers, this method is typically very useful when it comes to removing excess facial hair. It is usually as effective as waxing.
Threading is a typical Middle Eastern and Indian practice. Personally I had this done on my ears once and found it very painful. It’s an experience to try, but make sure you pick a skilled person.
This method originates in the Middle East, particularly Egypt where it was used to remove excess hair from unwanted places for brides that were about to get married.
This typical homemade hair removal method is easy to make yourself.
What you need:
- 2 cups of regular sugar
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup plain lemon juice (can be from a bottle)
Mix up all the ingredients and heat gently in a saucepan. The trick is to not let the sugar turn into caramel. This happens when you heat the mixture too fast too hot.
When don, remove from the fire and let it cool down. You can put your mixture in a heat resistant jar. This is easy if you want to re-heat it for future use.
Next to take strips of cotton (plain cotton, 1-2 inches wide)
Spread the mixture using the back of a regular kitchen knife over the body you want sugar waxed.
Apply the cotton and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Now rip off the cotton with a quick jerk opposite the direction of the hair growth.
When done you can apply a moisturizing lotion to soothen your skin.
An Overview of Some of the Best Products
Below is a list of some good hair removal products.
- Hair Removal Waxing Kit Men + Women, All Natural | BodyHonee (8.8 Oz)
- Moom Organic Hair Removal Kit, Tea Tree, 6-Ounce Package
- 10 Oz Cocojojo Sugaring Hair Removal Sugar Wax 100% Natural Paste – 100% Organic and Natural
- Andrea Naturals Hair Removal System Ready-to-use Cold Wax for Face, Body and Legs – Apple Pear
- 100 Percent All Natural Hair Remover – Refill, 6 oz ( Multi-Pack)